Shiatsu Therapy Diploma Program
2200 hours (exemptions may apply)
Program Structure and Start Dates
AIM Academy is currently accepting applications for sessions with the following start dates:
Click on the specific programs to see their respective class schedules.
Students are eligible for this program if they:
- have obtained the age of 18 with a high school diploma or equivalent
- have a strong desire to learn and grow
- have received a shiatsu treatment
- have successfully completed an interview with a program administrator.
NOTE: Students are not required to have any previous background in sciences or therapeutic training. Every diploma program offered at AIM Academy incorporates training from the ground up. Exemptions are always considered.
Students are required to have proof of a high school diploma or GED (General Educational Development Test).
To write the GED test, students must:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a resident of Ontario
- have not graduated from high school
- have been out of the school system for a least one full year
Register to write the test:
Professionals / Transfer Students
Depending on your previous education, you may be eligible for advanced standing which could reduce tuition for some programs.
Please contact our Admissions Department to discuss your situation on: (416) 323-1818 ext. 202, Toll free 1-800-263-1703 ext. 202.
NOTE: You must understand English to succeed at AIM Academy since our classes and clinics are conducted in English. You must be fluent enough to comprehend your instructors and clinic clients as well as the texts and other written material, and be able to complete written and oral assignments.
If your first language is not English, we will assess your English-language capabilities in the interview process. TOEFL is not required.
For further information on the application process, please contact admissions at (416) 323-1818 ex.202 or call our toll free number, 1-800-263-1703 ex.202.
Enrolment is limited and applications are processed on an ongoing basis. Apply early to avoid disappointment.
Due August 15, 2018 to start September 2018.
Application Documents Required
- Complete application form
- Application fee of $25
- Proof of high school diploma or GED (General Educational Development Test) by providing transcripts*
Transcripts from any post secondary educational institution (does not need to be related to your desired program(s) of study
*Transcripts must be sent directly to the school from the issuing institution to be offical.
- Completed medical letter from your family physician indicating that you are in good physical and general health, that you are free from communicable diseases and your tuberculosis status within the last year.
After Your Application is Submitted
Once you have completed the application requirements (all documents received), we will arrange an interview.
Application Documents Required at Interview
Please present the original following identification documents during the interview:
- photo identifications (e.g. driver's license, passport, age of majority card)
- birth certificate
- Social Insurance Number card
Notification of Status
You will be notified within 30 days of the interview as to your acceptance into the program. Upon acceptance, you will be required to sign an Application for Enrolment form, to confirm your tuition payment plan, and to submit a $500 non-refundable registration fee, which is part of the student's tuition fee.
Depending on your previous education, you may be eligible for advanced standing which could reduce tuition for some programs.
Please contact our Admissions Department to discuss your situation on: (416) 323-1818 ext. 202, Toll free 1-800-263-1703 ext. 202.NOTE: AIM Academy reserves the right to cancel or change start dates of program if there is insufficient enrolment. Should the program be cancelled, the applicant will receive a complete refund for their registration fees and/or tuition.
The 2200 hour curriculum is a balance of theory and practice and includes the following courses:
- Auxiliary Modalities
- Communication Skills
- Eastern Nutrition - Prevention, Diet, Lifestyle
- Foundations of Traditional Chinese Medicine 1
- Foundations of Traditional Chinese Medicine 2
- Human Anatomy
- Human Pathology and Symptomatology
- Human Physiology
- Public Health
- Self Care
- Shiatsu Ethics and Jurisprudence
- Shiatsu Practice
- Shiatsu Theory
- Shiatsu Treatment
- Student Clinic
The Goal of Study
The career of shiatsu demands the heart, knowledge, skill and clinical experience that a 2200-hour program in a Private Career College can deliver. The diploma program is one of the oldest continuously operating 2200-hour program in Canada. We offer students a solid grounding in both Eastern and Western medicine, including anatomy, physiology and pathology. Working in the West, students must be able to communicate with Western medical professionals who refer clients to them. They must also be able to communicate with clients who think in terms of Western medicine. An understanding of Western medicine, coupled with a strong background in Oriental medicine, strengthens the shiatsu therapist's practice on every level.
AIM Academy operates ethically and dependably, balancing our respect for the traditions of shiatsu with a responsibility to grow and innovate. The school has no religious affiliations and welcomes people from all backgrounds and walks of life. By its commitment to high ethical standards, quality in faculty and curriculum, and service to students and the community, AIM Academy has played a significant role in promoting shiatsu nationally and internationally.
The 2200-hour program offered at AIM Academy is the highest standard in the world, comparable to that offered in Japan itself. Graduates of AIM Academy are able to apply for licenses, registration and/or certification all around the world. Currently we have graduates working across Canada and in the United States, Denmark, Mexico, England, Austria, Israel, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, etc.
In 1986, the acupuncture and herbs programs were introduced and continue to flourish until this day.
At AIM Academy we believe that the power to change your life is in your hands. And we have the track record, the knowledge, and the commitment to help make your study of shiatsu as rewarding as you want it to be.
Career ProspectsDemand for shiatsu is growing as people work to educate the public on shiatsu's health benefits. Insurance companies are becoming aware of the cost benefits possible, as well as the medical advantages of shiatsu. With an aging population and growing demand for holistic care, the demand for and acceptance of shiatsu will grow too.
The 2200-hour shiatsu graduate enjoys the skills and knowledge to have a definite competitive edge. Graduates work in a variety of situations:
- self employment, own and operate your own private clinic
- some therapists travel to clients' homes or place of work for longer or shorter treatments
- work in an established clinic
- work alongside other healthcare professionals
- clinic supervisor, oversee other therapists in a clinic or teaching clinic environment
Hands-on ExperienceDuring the course of study, students do extensive practical work on other students, at school-supervised demonstrations of shiatsu at public events, and in special class treatments to seniors, friends and special cases. The Student Clinic serves as the clinical teaching facility of AIM Academy and provides low-cost care to people in Toronto and the surrounding area. Students, under the supervision of specially trained and experienced AIM Academy graduates, gain practical experience. The AIM Academy Student Clinic has an average of 500 client visits a month.
Why a Private Career College School
- The primary reason private career colleges exist is to provide the most effective training within the most reasonable period of time. At AIM Academy our curriculum is skills based and career focused. We know the shiatsu marketplace and what our graduates need to compete.
- Shiatsu is the very heart of our school, a way of life - not just a business, and not just another program among many.
- We have a track record in providing shiatsu training since 1986. Here you can thrive in a tried and tested program, not suffer through a new and unproven program.
- Our faculty is highly qualified and experienced. We select instructors not only for their clinical know-how, but also for their strong teaching skills.
- Our excellent clinic prepares students for "real world" situations with real clients. The clinic is established and the clientele is varied and challenging.
- We are committed to each student's success. In the great traditions of the East, we honour our students - mind, body and soul. At AIM Academy there are no anonymous faces lost in a large student body. We are large enough to provide the services that students require, yet small enough to afford our students individual attention.
Ten Reasons to study at AIM Academy
The 2200-hour program is the highest standard in the world and AIM Academy graduates can practice virtually anywhere in the world.
2. Small Classes
Because our classes are small, (usually ranging from 25 to 35 students) we can provide the atmosphere most favourable to learning and the growth and development of the student. Our classes are small enough to allow for the individual attention students need and large enough for a positive group dynamic.
3. East Meets West
Our program is designed to facilitate our students' understanding of both Eastern and Western medicine as they develop their shiatsu skills. The AIM Academy curriculum includes a demanding Western science component. With this exposure to both Western medical sciences and Oriental medicine, our shiatsu graduates can effectively communicate with Western medical practitioners about diagnosis and treatment.
4. Expert Faculty
More than 25 health practitioners and professionals teach at AIM Academy. Faculty members are experienced lecturers and practitioners. Our shiatsu instructors are all practicing shiatsu therapists.
5. Hands-on Learning
AIM Academy students begin learning and practicing shiatsu within the first term of training. The students familiarize themselves with the flow of a shiatsu treatment and begin to get a feel for the therapeutic benefits of shiatsu from the onset of their program. After passing the clinical competency examination, the students begin 272 hours in the Student Clinic. Students also do extensive practical work on other students, at school-supervised demonstrations of shiatsu, and in special class treatments to seniors, friends and others.
6. High Job Placement
Graduates of the AIM Academy program have a high job placement rate. As well AIM Academy graduates have a very high pass rate on the Shiatsu Therapy Association of Ontario's board examinations.
7. Experienced Shiatsu Program Director
Our Shiatsu Program Director, Daniel Adler, brings years of experience practicing and teaching shiatsu. A completely devoted and passionate teacher, Daniel will inspire and motivate students to become the best possible practitioners they can be from the beginning of the program until the very end.
8. Worldwide recognition
The training provided at AIM Academy is rated as having the one of the highest standards outside of Japan. Graduates are eligible to become members of the Shiatsu Therapy Association of Ontario, The Shiatsu Society of Ontario and other international associations.
9. Continuing Education
Our continuing education program enables the shiatsu graduate to keep up with the latest developments in shiatsu and related healing arts.
10. Alumni Guild
AIM Academy has an active Alumni Guild that offers many benefits including seminars and a newsletter.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Students enrolled in the Shiatsu Therapy Diploma Program may be eligible, if qualified, for loans, grants, or awards granted under the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
Tuition Payment Plans For Our
Meet our faculty and instructors at AIM Academy.
- DANIEL ADLER R.Ac.
- LENY CARBONE R.Ac
- LISA DOWLING BA., R.Ac
- LORI EISLER BFA, RMT
- DRAZEN KRIVOKUCA R.Ac
- CHAI LIEN LEE, PhD (India)
- CARLOS PRANIAUSKAS, Dipl.ST, MQP (Medical Qi Gong Practitioner)
- JULIAN YATES R.Ac
We currently have one schedule into which we are accepting new students.
2 Year Option
Starts: September 10, 2018
Ends: June 19, 2020
Weekly Schedule: Monday - Friday 9:00AM - 5:00PM with some flexibility required for clinic days (usually Wednesday).
1st Year: September 10 2018 - June 28, 2019:
- Term 1: September 10 - December 21, 2018
- Term 2: January 6 - March 29, 2019
- Term 3: April 15 - June 28, 2019
2nd Year: September 9, 2019 - June 19, 2020:
- Term 1: September 9 - December 20, 2019
- Term 2: January 6 - March 27, 2020
- Term 3: April 13 - June 19, 2020
For more information about these schedule options or tailor made schedules, please contact the Admissions Department at (416) 323-1818 ex.202 or for those who are outside of Toronto but reside in North America, please call our toll free number at 1-800-263-1703 ex.202.